Sunday, February 26, 2017

Black History Month

A few weeks ago, some students from Leadership/Student Government asked for books to create a display for Black History Month. I did a display last year using pages from this calendar that I purchased on Amazon.  I remember that while researching what type of display to create, I felt conflicted after reading about Mike Wallace’s interview with Morgan Freeman. Freeman calls the establishment of Black History Month ridiculous and when Wallace asks him why, he says, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month?” Morgan goes on to ask Wallace if he wants a Jewish history month, to which he responds, “No.” Freeman says that Black history is American history and the way to get rid of racism is to “stop talking about it” in the way people refer to Wallace as a “white man” and himself as a “black man”; they are simply Morgan Freeman and Mike Wallace.

I don’t have anything new or profound to say on the topic. I wish I did. I do wonder about it a lot, though. I recently saw a Walmart commercial called ‘Here’s to the Weeknight,’ featuring an Asian husband preparing dinner. When he realizes he’s out of salad dressing, he texts his wife, who is Black, to pick some up at the store. The commercial is very dramatic, with several parts in slow motion, and a kitchen timer counting down from twenty minutes. My ten-year old son and I were in the living room and when it was over he chuckled a little, saying, “Sheesh! Did you see that?” My first thought was about the interracial couple but before I could answer he quickly followed with, “They make it so dramatic!” He doesn't notice race the way I do. My hope is that my son wouldn't define anyone by their race, that he would treat everyone he meets with dignity and respect, regardless of appearance. I think I understand why Freeman was insulted but until we have fully integrated Black history into American history, we need to raise awareness.

National Education Association - Black History Month Lesson Plans
Smithsonian - Black History Teaching Resources
The Library of Congress - African American History Month

No comments:

Post a Comment