Sunday, April 16, 2017

Social Media and the Library

I have a confession to make - I don't like social media.

Perhaps it's because I have teenagers and I too intimately see their struggle with wanting to keep up and stay informed and how I must constantly encourage (read: nag) them to unplug and engage with people on a more personal level and to devote more of their attention to things that really matter. Perhaps it's because I think it conveys a false level of closeness. Or perhaps it's just too hard to keep up and it's a bit intimidating.

This entry on Scholastic's blog helped me become a little more open to Twitter. Most of the literature I've read about social media and the library concerns how to use it for advertising. Burleson helped me see how it can expand my network and create more opportunities for growth.

Feeling a little more open, I read Potter's article in Library Journal. He had a lot of great, practical tips on etiquette and what to tweet.

Is there really this much to know about Twitter? I think I'm back to being intimidated. Not really, but Gwyneth Jones' post helped make it a little more digestible for me. I'm not the type to dive head first, I like to dip my toe in and test the waters. But I feel like with Twitter, I'd have to have a whole bunch of tweets lined up.

The article by Agosto et al. shares about the several barriers to teens using libraries, including negative perceptions of libraries and librarians, preference of technology use for information needs, lack of relationships with library staff, inadequate library space, and an overall feeling of disconnectedness due to programming and mediocre online presence.  They also discovered that teens are not just "wasting time" on social media.


"Often they are seeking information and sharing what they know with others. Recognizing that teens are using social media for beneficial uses, such as information seeking and sharing, can help libraries to better support teens' information needs. Libraries can develop policies that support teens' use of social media and can consider providing informational content through these outlets." (p. 321)

This image can be located at:

http://youthonline.ischool.drexel.edu/docs/MythsTeensAndSocialMedia.pdf








References

Agosto, D.E., Purcell, M. Magee, R., and Forte, A. (2015). Teens, libraries, and social media: Myths and reality. Public Library Quarterly, 34(4), 318-327.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie, I understand completely where you are coming from in resisting the social media tsunami. I've given way to my worries as I've learned how to make things work for me. For quite some time I felt victimized by it. No longer! My twitter feed is carefully curated and includes only those voices I want to hear there. Some may think I've created an information bubble, but the truth is I access all kinds of information. I'm the controller and not the buffeted recipient. I check in to forums when I want to and don't when I'm otherwise engaged. I'm in control and that feels right. I don't want to be some absolutist and miss out on learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete