Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The CUE, Professional Development, Leadership on Campus...

I recently attended the CUE conference in Palm Springs. When my principal approached me to suggest that I attend I was so grateful that she thought of me. With over seventy other staff members to choose from, I and another teacher were invited to go. I know that she's considering how I could bring those tools back to the school and train other teachers, but it made me grateful that she felt confident in my abilities to do so. (I also felt a little pressure.) I've spent the majority of my adult years so far at home with my children. So it could just be my limited experience, but I really value training. I'm always grateful when our district provides training for all of its librarians and since we tend to be a little isolated on our campuses, it's always nice to get together to brainstorm, learn, and commiserate. Quality professional development is essential when trying to retain good employees - not just for skill training but for positive morale.

I am definitely more librarian than teacher. I understand the need for us to be educators in the library, but I've been a little uncomfortable adopting the role of a leader on our campus. Dees et al. state the following:
Librarians promote student learning through technology, literacy, and collaboration with teachers. Each element provides ample opportunities to offer leadership and to learn as a member of the learning community...Utilizing the "whole school" view, the librarian is in a key position to contribute to the development of strong professional learning communities through professional development and technology integration.
I know all this. I guess when I think of the term "leader" I tend to think of someone espousing truths from a pedestal. My colleague suggested that I join their ELA department meetings to help share some tools or tips. I thought I'd start with visiting their classrooms first to see what they're doing and what I could offer to help. They are the experts in their fields and I don't want to impose upon them and their time. Plus, I think I'd learn a lot from just watching them teach. I also think I don't completely have their trust yet. I shared in a previous post about being an introvert. I'll find my own way to lead.

References

Dees, D., Mayer, A., Morin, H., and Willis, E. (2010). Librarians as leaders in professional earning communities through technology, literacy, and collaboration. LMC, 29(2), 10-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment